Thursday 6 October 2011

Autumn leaves


With the arrival of Autumn here in Country Antrim the colours all around are amazing!
I've been gathering leaves,berries,acorns,beech nut,chestnuts etc and enjoying drawing them as and when I get time.
I've also been having a look at my Tonic Studios tools and punches to make an Autumn card.
The image I chose to work with this time is Maple Leaf which I drew a few days ago and you can find it with lots of others on my digi site A Passion for Stamps.

This is a little tutorial of how I made the card using the Tonic Studios Mini Trimmer  and Furled Leaf Punch



1.   Print out digi image, colour and then cut out with Tonic Studios scissors

2. Mark the paper you have chosen to use for the basket weave at 1cm intervals

3. Cut into strips with the Tonic Studios Mini Trimmer
4. Put double-sided sticky tape along one edge.

5. Stick down the strips vertically as close to each other as possible leaving an overlap at the top

6. Now create the basketweave effect by inserting the horizontal strips as shown in the photo above.


7. When all the strips have been added, turn it over and add DST to all edges of the back. Then fold all the edges over and stick down to create a neat square on the right side.

8. Finished basket weave panel.
9. Adhere some raffia to the panel (sticking down in one point only) and then add the coloured digi image on 3D foam pads for dimension.
10. Using the Furled Leaf Simplicity Geared Punch punch out several shapes

11. Draw veins with a fineliner and colour the leaves with the same colours of pens as used for the main image

12. Tuck these little leaves randomly into the basket weave to give the effect of falling leaves .Then stick this panel down onto a base card which has had a square of matching paper added.




22 comments:

  1. A gorgeous card. I love the colours and the leaf is wonderful.
    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful card in autumn colours !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth
    A gorgeous and beautiful card love how you have made the baking paper and leaves are gorgeous
    Hugs Dianne xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful card! Lovely stamp. I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card and leaf Ruth. I love this tutorial, is fantastic, thank you so much for sharing. Im heading to the Kings Hall on the Friday Ruth, its the only day I can go. Sorry I'll miss you but I hope you have a fantastic day. Im certainly planning to spend a few pennies, heehee. Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card Ruth,love the colours.
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. great tutorial ,love the card, great work you have done,the colours are lovely and i like the glittery touch to the leaf:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic card ruth.your maple leaf is stunning and i love the fab basketweave effect and rich autumnal colours :D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ruth, WOW this is stunning and thanks for the tutorial as I was thinking of some weaving myself. thanks for playing along on MAWTT this week Hazelxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Ruth! This is totally Stunning! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ruth thanks for stopping by my blog wonderful card and great colouring

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning colours Ruth and it looks like that trimmer makes paper weaving much easier.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully with the beautiful foliage thank you for the explanation
    Greetings Baukje

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful leaves and what a fabulous woven background
    Thanks for joining us at MAWTT for my Autumn leaves challenge this week
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a fabulous card Ruth - we're in County Antrim too! I'm heading off to the King's Hall on Friday too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this autumn card, and thank you for sharing the tutorial. This is a really quick short visit from me, as I am preparing for demos and fulfilling a card order.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ruth found you through Kay's crafty designs, love your cards, and the tutorials great,
    will add you to my link list,
    happy crafting
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth what a fab card love the demo's. Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous card Ruth, I love the big leaf, it's perfect for our challenge.
    Thanks for joining us at Paper Play for our Autumn colours challenge
    hugs Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tutorial and beautiful colouring. Jane x
    http://thecraftbucket.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card Ruth and such a great tutorial...that weaved background is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The first time on this blog and feels good to look and admire your work.I'm not so good at cards but I want to try it from now on.
    Congratulations for yours!
    aureliaeugenia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it's lovely to hear from you. Ruth